Thread: S-VHS vs D-VHS
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:36 AM
M is for Memory

Normal VHS limits monochrome and color resolution to sub-NTSC level. S-VHS only gets the monochrome resolution limit closer to NTSC (~doubles it) and seems to reduce chroma noise some.

D-VHS is another animal entirely....It records a digital data stream and can store a full HD signal (possibly higher rez video) exactly as the source puts it out....Infact you can even store data on D-VHS.

The question is what would you like to do with your VCR? If you only plan to play back/record NTSC with S-/VHS tapes then D-VHS will offer you little advantage...IIRC D-VHS decks can play/rec S-/VHS and have a built in TBC, but most DVD-recorders and DVRs have TBCs in them, and are MUCH cheaper than D-VHS decks so buying a D-VHS deck for the TBC is a waste of money IMO. If you're buying a VCR and want to record/play back HD with it (maybe even use it as a tape back up for your hard drive) then D-VHS is the way to go.

Disclaimer: while I'm highly familiar with S-VHS* (I own several decks and could recommend/compare some), all I know about D-VHS and (W-VHS which is analog HD) is what I've read and what I've seen in youtube videos...I've never been able to find a used deck dead or alive at an entry level price (under $50)....Now that I have more money I should probably start looking for D-VHS and W-VHS decks again.

BTW: If you plan to do NTSC recording with an S-VHS VCR, I highly recommend finding a S-VHS-ET deck the -ET means it can record S-VHS on normal (cheaper) VHS tape stock. *I've done an extensive amount of time shifting/archiving using S-VHS-ET decks.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4