Thread: S-VHS vs D-VHS
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 12:40 PM
M is for Memory

Squirrel Boy, You are right that at EP there can be a noticeable difference between S-VHS tape and VHS tape recorded in S-VHS....It is highly dependent on the VHS tape stock though. On high quality normal VHS tapes recorded in S-VHS it often is a match for a good S-VHS tape, lower quality tapes and or machines however will produce noticeably poorer results.
At SP speed (which most on my S-VHS signal on VHS tape recordings were) there was no noticeable difference between decent quality VHS and S-VHS tape stock when recording in S-VHS mode....Granted most of my use was archival so most tapes got recorded on 1-4 times.

I abandoned making new tape recordings about 4 years ago....I got a good cheap DVD recorder and a DVR, VHS tapes were getting harder to buy new local, and cable no longer was clean analog making digital artifacts from recording more palatable than the occasional tape noise.
Oddly enough I may go back to a bit of S-VHS recording work soon. Much of what I was recording back then was poorly organized so I may end up dubbing that stuff to new tapes to re-organize it and nix commercials.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4