View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4cna View Post
I picked up this National (Matsushita) MW/SW radio today at a flea market for a one dollar bill. Battery power only (4 "D" cells). Antenna and all controls work smoothly as they should. It works fine with the exception of the audio level being very low. It stays low when the control is at full volume. Anyone seen one of these? I have not been able to find anything inside or on the outside that tells how old it is. The dial has KC/s and MC/s instead of kHz and mHz. Would it be mid 60's or so?

Allen

Your set sounds like it's early-'60s vintage (pre-1967), because of the kc and mc markings on the dial scale. Until 1967 all radio dials were marked as kc and mc (kilocycles and megacycles), then, from '67 to the present, the frequency designations appeared as kHz and MHz (kilohertz and megahertz).

The low volume problem may be due to weak batteries; I'd try a fresh set, or try the radio on AC power if it has AC capability (many if not most large portables had built-in AC supplies or provisions for a wall-wart external AC adapter, then as now). Should work much better on new batteries; many of those large portables are notorious for eating up batteries in a hurry, especially when operated at full volume for any length of time or if accidentally left on overnight.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.