Thread: Boomboxes
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi-Fi nally Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
I think the Lasonics and simliar fake chrome covered beasts attract those kind of prices because some of those monstrous piles of crap (in my opinion) are featured in some music videos and movies. I guess people want the same boxes they see famous people breakdancing to on TV.

I miss the monster Sony I had years ago. I don't remember the model number, but it has a single cassette deck, AM/FM/SW radio and 10 inch woofers.

I saw a Marantz once that had the same champange gold with wood panel sides color scheme as their full sized components. No idea how it sounded though.
OK - Old thread, I know, but I had to chime in.

I bought brand new in late 1986 one of those infamous Lasonic TR-931 (was that the model?) that you see in commercials and music videos today. It was on sale for $99, and I bit.

Actually, it sounded GREAT - lots of power, many buttons and inputs, eq, and ate batteries like you wouldn't believe. I regret giving it to my sister years later, as I'm sure it was promptly broken and tossed in the trash. I saw one go for $199 recently - so they are keeping their value.

Man, do I miss that big, poorly built plastic thing!

Rob