View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 04:38 PM
M is for Memory

First big snow occurred over the weekend so yesterday I decided to test the 4WD....There are 5 settings for the 4WD transfer case 2Hi, AWD, 4Hi, 4Lo, and Neutral.

I put it in AWD mode* and got it half way to work on the poorest cleared road segments and the fastest segment (~70 on the highway) and all was well. Then I took off from a light and suddenly it was dragging the proverbial anchor...I was giving it enough gas to go 60-80 and it did not want to go over 35-40, and was squeaking and grinding. I have not read enough of the manual to know if it is only safe to make transfer case shifts in park so I kept it in AWD until the next light.... Before I got there it loosened up a good bit (when it did break loose there was some horizontal shimmy akin to brake steer) and I got up to the 50-55 traffic was moving, but it was still not happy so I went back to 2Hi (that it has been in most of the time I've had it).
Back in 2Hi all was normal.

*I'm fairly sure AWD mode defaults to RWD until the rear wheels slip then the front engages.

That evening on my way home I decided to try 4Hi (which I believe is constant 4WD) and wondered if it was stiff from disuse, and wanted to see if it was the forward gear or the AWD system that was acting up. I shifted it into 4Hi and drove about 4 blocks. It was not really improving, and I was REALLY dragging an anchor. Grinding was more pronounced, and as soon as I let off the gas, pretty good braking action without touching the brake occurred.

I've noticed before all this that in 2Hi mode that the front occasionally will grind a bit on sharp-ish turns (which I initially guessed was brake related).

I think there is some problem in the front differential or it's linkage to the wheels... Unless it is a cheap shop fix, or really easy I think I'll keep it in 2Hi until spring.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma