View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Old TVs are better!

Well, right now the set is on hold. I still don't know what blew the SG613s. Somehow, for some reason, the set was working perfect, then all of a sudden a black screen, but the horizontal was running and it did have high voltage and sound. After checking things out, I found an open filament transformer which powers the CRT, so obviously no filament voltage to the CRT, no light on tube. Then I took the transformer out, found an open primary, powered the set up and put 6 volts to the filament pins of the CRT and presto, had a good picture. Thought, no big deal, I'll just find a new filament transformer. I folded the circuit boards back into place, and tried powering it up again, and poof, "smoke", R608 went. Well both SG613s went dead short, (bye,bye) SG613s. Don't know what happened, what did I do? Maybe something shorted, or messed up when I folded the boards back in. Thanks wiseguy for the advice. With this in mind, I might just order them, and give the set another try. Even if I get the HV going again, I still have to find the filament transformer. Wonder if I can just use a standard 120 volt to 6 volt transformer? Everything with these sets seem to require original Sony parts.
Audiokarma