View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 02:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Anyone?

I have a tape stuck in this VCR and can't get it out, its one of the original Star Wars Movies that was from 1995 where it was the last release of the original Star Wars Movies that used the original unedited theatrical Relase of the Films (where Jaba the Hut was actually a man in a Suit rather than the later CGI Giant Slug Like Character that they made him into in the 1997 Remaster, and the version where you actually saw who fired the first shot in the bar scene, which was obscured in the 1997 Remastered Version).

I know on the Panasonic VCRs from the 1990s that had the modular Switch Mode Power Supply units, that usually what killed the power supply in those was one of the main filter caps in the secondary of the power supplies.

Which is what I thought happened with this unit but wasn't the case because when I replaced those caps that I thought were what failed (they were bulged on the bottom and vented onto the circuit board which nearly obliterated some of the traces) the VCR is still blowing its fuses and because of that it won't power up at all, and when the fuse blows it blows so hard that the inside of the fuse turns pitch black and you can't see inside of it, which usually indicates a short of some sort but I'm not sure what would be shorted inside this VCR's Power Supply Unit, except maybe a capacitor, it isn't a bad power transformer because this VCR uses the famous Panasonic SMPS Mondule that Panasonic was known for using in all of their VCRs starting in mid 1980s and clear up until the early 2000s, on all of their VCRs.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.