View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 03:48 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

Hmmm this has me puzzled. They are a static deflection camera with only magnetic focus, guess I'd start with the voltages on the green tube socket and work my way around from there. The M3A is three discreet camera sections one for each color coming together at the IQ encoder board but I'm unable to play the mp4 encoded video content so I can't see the actual glitch, only the opening frame.

Sony had a bad habit of using an adhesive on the boards to secure jumper wires and that adhesive is known to break down over time and become conductive see picture-002. This is on the back of the PS board. Just above the PS board connector is a line of test points see picture-004.

Does both the red and blue glitch at the same time or is this a random thing with the two colors? On the EN board move the right switch to the MON position, this will switch the viewfinder over to the R-G B-G alignment mode where you can actually look at what the tubes are seeing, one inverts the color over green for doing the registry alignment. I don't recall what the positions are for what function so you will have to play around with them. no damage can be done here. Another switch (pointing at) selects the viewfinder between color/B&W mode, B&W is the default here. There is a 3-position slide on the far end marked S4, this is an encoder test switch that by default is in the center position.

You have quite a challenge on your hands here with this one. The M3a was one of the most advanced cameras of its day and the favorite of news crews before the BVP-3 package took over. I used mine with a a JVC CR-4700 U-Matic at first before going with the Sony BVU-150 then graduated to BetacamSP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (53.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (41.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (46.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (57.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 01-01-2023 at 03:51 AM. Reason: incorrect images