View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I don't even go that far. I just use ublock with the defaults set and I find that takes care of 95% of the ads out there. If it gets around that and doesn't get in my face or autoplay somewhere in the page, it's earned it.
No kidding? I use uBlock and NoScript, the latter being a real pain as I have to whitelist every new site I visit, and often times I have to guess which other scripts have to be whitelisted for any given site to work properly. Sometimes it won't work no matter what I do and I just give up and bring up the site in Chrome. If it's safe to go without NoScript I may dump the blasted thing.

Ah, the early days of the 'net and 32-bit Windows. Malware infections were inevitable and one had to run enough security programmes to make their computer run like a car with a plugged cat in some cases. Computers running the text-only "Lynx" browser were well-protected but sites were difficult to navigate and secure sites wouldn't work at all. Yep, I know the struggle; I started out on an Apple IIe with ProTerm and a Hayes Smartmodem 2400. Sometimes I would spend a half hour trying to download a single programme from an Apple II FTP site only to get a "disk full" error just before the finish line.

I use Avast antivirus and Windows 7 Professional. My only gripe about that is that it throws ads in my face every now and then trying to get me to upgrade to a paid version. I hardly ever run full scans now, it's never found anything and I'm pushing two years on the same Windows installation.