View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 05:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
[QUOTE=Robert Grant;3153669]I doubt that there will be widespread use of 4K in OTA DTV when 3.0 rolls out. Broadcasters would likely prefer three streams of 1080 to a single stream of 4K, just as many have chosen one stream of 720 and three streams over a single 1080 low-compression stream with ATSC 1.0.

HDTV on a 50" screen looks better than NTSC at 50", but on a 19" screen, you'd need a special display and reading glasses to tell the difference. 4K looks better than 1080 on a 100" screen - but not everyone sees (no pun intended) the need for that. Yes, 4K looks better than 1080 on a now common 50" set, if one is standing close to it - but how often do people watch TV standing up?"

I agree, not everyone wants or cares about 4K. However, there is a healthy market for it in the same way that people purchase high end audio equipment. Many folks set up their own home theaters with outboard surround sound speakers. 4K is not for the casual television observer who isn't going to bother setting up the viewing room for proper furniture placement and lighting. I don't agree with your assessment that you have to be standing up to see 4K properly.

Last edited by etype2; 01-11-2016 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Audiokarma