View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Strangely, the under-25 kids I've shown my collection to are mostly engrossed by the old record players in the couple of combo-units I have. It's always their highlight, the TVs come second and the radios don't get much notice -- unless there's a tuning eye. Most "under 30"s have never seen one, and they usually stop to ask what it is, and why, and I usually get a "kewl".

At some point in the last 25 years, TV's started powering off cleanly. When I show kids my '64 Zenith B/W, I usually get a comment about how dumb a B/W set that huge is. But when I shut it off the picture collapses to a horizontal line, then the line slowly collapses to the ol' white dot, then the dot hangs around for 30 seconds. That always gets a stunned silence. More than one kid has asked, "is it supposed to do that?". I'm sure most 25-year-olds have never seen it before.

The older people I show my collection to admire the nostalgia, and are always amazed the stuff "still works". I've never had a negative comment from someone my age or older.