View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I have a collection of just a few "vintage" computers:

two or three Timex Sinclair Z81...and one about half done as a kit (I should get on that)

One Commodore VIC20....still works, but I don't really have it out
One Commodore SX64 (REALLY love to play with that one sometimes)

Now I am currently playing with an Atari800 (the big one..not the XL). I got it at a swap meet about a month ago, but it had a dead keyboard (typical for these). Got a replacement mobo and power board (didn't need the power board..but got one anyway). This fixed the keyboard problem I had tracked to the POKEY and two demux chips. Now I play with it on an RCA "prison TV" and with it's original 1010 datacassette unit (changed two belts). Got the original BASIC cartridge and the thing had a Pac-Man cartridge in it already. Lots of fun poking in stupid BASIC proggies and saving them on tapes. Really just for fun.

I've had an "unintentional" collection of "really tiny laptops" for many years....starting with me buying a real small Hitachi palmtop back in the very early 90s....and then kept buying all the Toshiba Libretto machines from around 1995 until around 2006...and still have all those machines:

CT50 (Win95)....and at least one parts machine
CT70 (Win98)....and a couple parts machines
CT101 (98SE)....(still play with sometimes
U105 (XPproSP3)....is a Centrino, so is actually SLOW but still useful

A couple of those little tiny VIA "Artigo" pico-ITX kits.....one is actually inside of an old 5" Craig LCD TV set as a mini portable HTPC.

Asus 900HA (XPproSP3/Win7 Ultimate/Ubuntu)"netbook"....not really vintage, but it IS like five years old now....daily driver for work as my "away team" work on old Novell Netware 4.11 servers that only run IPX/SPX.

It's a very odd collection...of which maybe half would be "vintage".....but the term is a bit loose for computers. Even a "new" laptop...is OLD after like a year these days.