View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did Russia clone CRTs like they cloned most other components or did they import them?

I've seen some very strange (to me) Russian valves and semiconductors, but never a Russian CRT.

On another note I was reading an article in a recent issue of Silicon Chip magazine about the 50th anniversary of TV in Australia the other day. It seems there were at least a few round sets B&W sets in Australia. AWA built some experimental sets in 1948 with round CRTs. According to the article the CRTs were locally made based on RCA designs. I don't know if any of these experimental sets survived. Certainly by the time TV actually started in 1956 rectangular CRTs were in use (well, they weren't as square as modern CRTs, but I wouldn't describe them as round).

Off topic, but on a sad note: Today a silver piece of crap karaoke system came through here bearing the Normende brand name. I remember some of their interesting, but rare (at least around here) TVs and Radios. I can't remember the last time I saw one though.