View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I know the original point is sorta burried in this thread, but did this Sanyo monitor ever get recapped. Is it now all happy?

One of my crowning achievements was a complete recapping of this monitor in my 1981 Donkey Kong upright. This 19" monitor sounds like the same Sanyo one used in DK with the weird inverted video and the volume controls (hence the amp as well) on the monitor's chassis.

Mine was WAY folded over and would start rolling after like five minutes.

About 1999 I got a recap kit for this monitor and it came out good as new. Just a bag of like 15-20 caps, and there ARE some for the audio section as well. A paper came with, but not really instructions. The paper was just a couple placement diagrams and a couple lines on adjustments.

Still have the cabinet, but sold the monitor to a friend with a Radarscope machine in a red cabinet. My original DK board suffered like three scrambled ROMs all at once, and that was pretty much the end of it. Tried another friend's DK junior ROMs in the thing and could never get it out of the demo screen. Then I REALLY gave up on it.....and built a MAME cabinet of it. Still have the MAME setup, and it's nice to have in a small apartment. No room to collect machines. I still have a Frogger and Galaga up at my Dad's place, both still in great shape. Frogger does always require tweaking of edgecard connectors though.

Any Nintendo fanatics will recognize the mention of my friend's RED Radarscope cabinet. It's a prized possesion, because almost ALL Radarscope machines were gutted and converted to the first original Donkey Kong cabs. If you ever see a RED Donkey Kong machine.....GET IT! And if you actually find a Radarscope in that same familiar cabinet, but red....It's older than Mario by deffinition, and survived the conversion to Donkey Kong.

Last edited by AiboPet; 06-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.