View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 04:14 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
You asked for advice , and so here's mine ;

For a set of such value & relative rarity , I'd be booking a plane ticket to cali , and renting a U haul one way and plan to make a fun road trip of it . Some 1960s roundie color gets busted up in shipping ? Yea a huge bummer but not entirely irreplaceable . Your set gets dropped/smashed/lost by a not so dilligent shipping company employee where are ya gonna find another ?

ROAD TRIP !!!!!!
Agreed. This is my first full weekend back from a road trip to Alabama (most of the time was at a beach in Florida the trip was extended to include) to pick up an RCA CTC-4. I considered hiring a carrier, but for the money, I could do a better safer job hauling it in my Suburban. Good 21AXP22s are more common than anything prewar, but still rare enough that I'm deficit 2 relative to sets I own that use it...Much of the value of such a set is in the good CRT so if I were to let it get necked by some shipper I'd almost have been as well off setting fire to the money I paid for it instead of buying it. It made it here safe thanks to my effort.

Part of me wonders how safe the CRT really is if shipped installed in a prewar set. I know post WWII RCAs like the 630 shiped with the CRT separate because the CRT mounts were not good enough to protect the CRT from shipping damage....The vertical mount of a TRK12 and IIRC the chassis the CRT neck plugs into (I might be confusing the TRK12 with a different Mirror in lid set on that feature) could both put the CRT at undue risk.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4