View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 06:05 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colortrakker View Post
Quality-wise, this looks pretty typical for an early '70s videotaped show: little banding on the left, some vignetting that viewers wouldn't have seen then. CBS was most consistent of the networks in quality.
By "little banding on the left" I presume you're referring to the vertical stripes near the left side, mainly in one camera?

When I saw the word "banding' I immediately went back to see if I could find quad tape banding, and I don't see any. If you can spot any, post the time stamp.

Regarding the image corner vignetting, one of the cameras also has some misregistration in the extreme upper right.

The shading across the image of all the cameras looks excellent.

Did these cameras have a built-in diascope pattern projector and automatic registration?

That was a feature of the first Saticon tube HD cameras that were produced in the early 90s. It would have been impossible to get useful HD resolution without it. The auto setup did both registration and shading.
They also had lens tables that adjusted the scan width and height of the R, G, and B separately according to the lens zoom setting to compensate for chromatic aberration. IIRC, there also was a lookup table for compensating the gradual overall vignetting of the lens at different zooms and aperture settings.