Thread: Dumont Club 20
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations John. The house was indeed stately. My wife and son went with me on a scenic ride along the Hudson river to pick up the set and see the place. The folks were anxious to talk about the house, the husband grew up there and never remembered seeing the set. He recalled that he did have fun exploring all the hundreds of closets, cubbys and secret hiding places built into the place. The closet under the stairs, where the TV was, had not been opened in recent memory and besides the TV there was a GE console radio and a 40's phonograph. Not nearly as exciting as the TV.

Their teen age daughter asked "where is the remote". I told her that she would have been the remote back when this set was in use.

When I took off the back I saw it had a brightener installed so I figured the CRT was probably well worn. I removed the chassis and HV cage then my son and I carried it up the stairs and out the door to the van. In the mean time my wife was getting to see several of the other rooms.

When we got home, I tested the CRT and surprisingly it slowly came up to just above the "Bad" section and probably will improve with more use. It also had passable cut-off so it probably will produce a watchable picture. Overall the finish should restore nicely but there are a few deep gouges in the top. It is a DEEEEP cabinet. There is very little rust on the chassis.

Here are some photos of the set right after I removed the back and also some of it in my van where it will stay until it gets shipped off to John in a few weeks. Unfortunately either it never had the base with it and it sat on a table or the base was discarded many years ago. I am looking forward to the resoration thread.

BTW - The cabinet to the right was a Harmon Kardon stereo with a Garrard changer, no TV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_131220369.jpg (53.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_165719170_HDR.jpg (82.3 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_165742235_HDR.jpg (92.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_164827260_HDR.jpg (63.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150719_163118412_HDR.jpg (92.9 KB, 146 views)