View Single Post
Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
WOW!!,THAT LING TV IS AMAZING!!!

It's straight out of the world of tommorow!

Were these available for home use? Did the monitor move like a predicta?

Any more photos??
No none for the home as far as I know. This is the only picture of one I have.

They were made for the RISD, and I doubt any still exist, maybe in the back of someone's storage or garage. I've often wondered what happened to those sets. The CRT was fixed position to the cabinet. The whole thing was on wheels.

Here'as some history about KRET-TV and Ling Electronics connection, from a friend's web site dedicated to DFW TV history..

"UHF 23 KRET, Richardson. Station established 2/29/1960; dark in 5/1970. Owner: Richardson Independent School District. Call letters stood for "Richardson Educational Television." First TV station in the nation to be owned by a school district. Broadcasted on weekdays only, and initially, for only two hours a day. Schedule was later lengthened to match school hours (with five minute breaks between shows, where music was played.) Station signed off during the summer. Start-up cost of $70,000; operated with $50,000 of Ling electronic equipment; broadcast range of 20 miles. Studios were located at Richardson Junior High (1960-63,) Richardson High School (1963-1970,) and at Hamilton Park Elementary, 8221 Towns (1970-1990s.) On 8/31/1970, KRET was converted into the closed-circuit "TAGER" network (WEF-69) for high school and college telecourses, carried on an RISD closed-circuit system and over many local cable TV outlets."

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-05-2010 at 11:24 AM.