View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

The big Plymouth is a great car to get stuff in. Nice deep trunk, although nothing can top a Ford when it comes to having a deep trunk since they mounted the fuel tank behind the rear seat.

I tinkered around briefly with the scope. It powers up OK, but can't get a trace to appear. The cooling fan doesn't go because the weight of the motor on the rubber motor mounts caused them to stretch a bit which results in a conflict between the fan blade and the fan housing. Not sure what's going on electronically why it doesn't want to show a trace. Doesn't look like anyone messed with it. It's got 1967 date codes on basically all of the parts. I'll have to spend some time and study it.

The HP 608D seems like it should work. Again, only briefly tried it. Very smart design on that unit. You unscrew the thumb screws on the back and the whole unit slides out of the cabinet like a file cabinet drawer as it has little metal rollers on the chassis that run on a track inside the housing. 1959 date codes on the HP unit.

Some twit at the estate sale tried moving it by the old leather handles and split one of them. Its a fresh crack, you can tell.

I currently have a Tektronix 535 scope from 1962 that came from the Navy. That's a great unit and I've had it for years. The 585 seems to be one of the longest production tube scopes. I read they were produced from 1959 thru '69. I think '69 or '70 was the very last year for the big boat anchor tek scopes.

Last edited by drh4683; 09-08-2015 at 08:12 PM.