View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
That is off to a good start.

Looks like we have the same test jig...Mine did not come with the HV lead. At some point, if you could post a pic of the ends and the length that would help me make a better replacement for mine.
I will take a better photo soon, but for now here's a closeup from a photo above. It's about 5 feet long with an insulated alligator clip on the end. The insulation seems a little thin to me but I haven't had any trouble with arcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
FWIW, Mr. Anderson!
The centering device is original!
I worked on a lot of Admirals of that era. The one you're working on, has the PC board IF, which is 21 mhz. All the one sold in the Milwaukee were 41mhz IF because all of them were UHF equipped. The 21mhz tuner uses a 6J6 osc mixer where the UHF 41mhz model used a 6U8. Why Admiral did it that way is any ones guess. The 41mhz IF panel is hand wired.
The Thomas CRT is original. They stood up better than the National Videos, so it might still be usable.
Thank you for the info Yes indeed, the CRT does have some life left. Not great but after a gentle restore cycle on my CR70 the emission test does get into the green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irext View Post
We had that model in Australia (or very similar). It was one of the first TV,s I restored as a teenager. It has those strange PCB mount caps which I assume are paper in construction. I found them to be quite leaky as I recall and replaced the lot. Access for measurements while the set is running was difficult with the vertical chassis and pcb,s. I replaced the CRT with a regunned one at the time as the original was very weak. It made a nice pic once restored IIRC. I look forward to watching your progress.
I've tested a few of those vertical blue caps mounted on the PCBs and was surprised to find they all test good. No leakage and close to the stated values. That makes me wonder what they are made from. I'll try to break one open and find out.
The same goes for the axial blue caps on the rear of the chassis. All have been good. Now the black beauty / bumble caps are another story. They have all tested leaky.