View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 03:22 PM
<----Zenith C845

Bob, when I saw the picture of your Admiral TV in the first post of this thread, it reminded me of a 21" Admiral table model TV I had in the early 1970s. It was a trash find in my old neighborhood near Cleveland (much closer to the city than where I live now), and was in a white cabinet with the controls (volume, channel selector, vert. hold, et al.) under a trap door at the top of said cabinet. The set worked amazingly well for its age (since it did not have a UHF tuner, I would place it some time before 1964) with its original tubes, CRT (no brightener) and caps. (Bear in mind, this was decades before Videokarma and long before I knew that all old TVs made before about 1967 need to be recapped.) Unfortunately, I had to junk that set when I moved in 1972 (long story and OT); needless to say, I hated to part with it, especially since it seemed to be working so well. The only other TV I had at the time that worked better than the Admiral was a Zenith K-2739 23" console, which I also had to get rid of when I moved.

I'm glad your Admiral TV is working as well as it is. Hook it up to a DTV converter box and an antenna (or cable) and you should get an excellent picture; those old TVs were built to a level of quality we will never see again.

I noticed, however, in one of the pictures of your set's chassis, that two tubes, the horizontal output and the LV rectifier, were glowing much, much brighter than they should have, and I also did not realize the CRT in your set was so weak until I read the post a second time. Are those tubes glowing normally, or is one of them shorted? In my years of fiddling with electronics, I have only seen one tube glowing that brightly; that was in a Zenith radio I plan to restore one of these days. The pilot light had burned out, and was putting so much of a strain on the 35W4 rectifier tube that it was causing said tube to glow extremely brightly. Had I not shut the radio off immediately after noticing this, the heavy overload would have destroyed the tube in no time flat.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-04-2018 at 03:41 PM.