View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 12:05 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I think John's approach is likely to yield a good tube for him, but I doubt very much it could be repeated with any degree of success say three or four dozen times.

I hope the Epotec solution works, but I'm not holding my breath. There have been how many attempts to rebuild 15GP22s? And one successful tube (the 15GP22 in the ETF's Sparton) that appears to be little more than dumb luck.

Is it technically possible to rebuilt a 15GP22? Undoubtedly. Can a suitable solution be found to the problem, that is fairly trivial to repeat on dozens of tubes, and at a cost that a collector with a dud 15GP22 would be willing or able to pay? Maybe, maybe not. My gut says no.

My advice for anyone with a working 15G is twofold: treat it with kid gloves, and use the damn thing! I would rather get a solid year or two of enjoyment from the 15GP22 in my Westy, than turn the set on one day to find a bright pink neck and wish I had watched it more. That's why I'm having Nick do the restoration. It'll be done faster than I'd ever be able to complete it, and I'll be able to enjoy the set some.