View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I have always been of the opinion that if you have the patience and skill to fix antique VCR's, they are a joy to behold. But if you don't know what you're doing, they are a major PITA. I have been fixing VCR's since I was in 5th grade. I know a thing or two, because I've seen a thing or two. (Taken from Farmers commercial.)
Well at the time that I had received that old Panasonic Top-loader that's like yours in your picture I only had experience working on front loader vcrs that mainly only had mechanical issues (like bad belts or timing of the loading mechanism getting off track) I had never dealt with top loader VCRs before let alone VCRs in general that had electrical problems that would involve actually replacing NLA parts like video heads or ICs or transistors or other electrical parts that would fail and cause a video malfunction such as no color during video play back or what not. So really it had nothing to do with a lack of patience (I have plenty of patience to work on electronics because I've completely recapped and restrung antique tube radios for myself and for other people and that is a very time consuming and requires lots of patience) the problem was a lack of experience dealing with Top-Loader VCRs (which are a whole other beast to deal with, issues wise than a front loader VCR is), and a lack of experience dealing with electrical failures in VCRs in general (because like I said, up to that point all I've ever dealt with were front-loader VCRs that only had minor mechanical issues.) And actually I have been working on electronics in general since I was in 7th grade and I'm 28 now, so that kind of gives you an idea of how long I've been working on electronics in general. My very first electronics repair was a 1983 vintage Montgomery Wards 13" B & W TV that someone gave me that had a messed up Vertical and Horizontal hold and all I did was readjust the horizontal and vertical hold knobs on the back of the TV and it worked fine and I used that TV for about a year before I finally got a 13" Zenith Color TV from a friend from school and I donated the old Montgomery Wards TV to Goodwill and the TV was still working fine when I donated it, and I used that old Zenith TV up until just shortly before the DTV Transition (I had a cable compatible VCR hooked up to it and I watched cable through the VCR as the TV was a knobbed TV but still had great picture and was still working with excellent picture yet when I finally donated it to Goodwill.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-19-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Audiokarma