View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
I would unplug the crt socket and the hv reg tube and see how high the voltage goes, then I would disconnect the hv from the crt and measure it in an attempt to verify there isnt something like a tad of air causing overloading.

But thats me, I have no fear of getting shocked or it arcing all over the place.

You changed the 3A3 right? Premium cigar rash?

Its common to fluctuate from 20-24kv, thats common and shouldnt be noticed.

Also, keep in mind how demanding modern content is on an old set. During the ntsc days they had all kinds of tricks to limit contrast and brightness. Subjects never work solid black suits on a bright white background. Thats why old programming looks washed out, that was intentional.
A strong crt+modern programming demands a perfect working chassis.

Good to use your hands, run it for 30 minutes, is the flyback hot? is the focus coil hot? the lin coil? etc

Sometimes just using a set that has been stored for years fixes alot of issues. Maybe its time to just use it gently for awhile and see if it wakes up.
back when i was troublshooting with don lindsly i pulled the crt plug off and the hv came up and he had said something was loading the hv down. the flyback never gets warm and the focus coil is bearly warm and i had even checked the ohms of the focus coil and it matched the sams give or take an ohm or 2.i also had tried several 3a3 including a solid state one. i do remember pulling the reg tube cap and the hv went up alittle over 30kv and taking the anode off the crt didnt make a difference only pulling the crt neck plug made a difference but soon as putting the crt neck plug back the hv dropped. a small amount of air would do this?????