View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM
M is for Memory

Looks like a nice trio of sets.

You'll want to test the CRTs (get or borrow a tester) before proceeding as those cost money.

That is a UHF cover plate on the moto. It does not have UHF (though it does have provisions to add it). Between 1952 and mid-1964 UHF was an option not a government mandated feature, and thus is rare, especially in markets that did not have a UHF channel back then.

Your Porthole is missing a knob and the control door.

The plate on the back of the mystery set makes me think Silvertone or Airline as those brands typically had that style of chassis plate. It is probably a 1955-59 model as that was the heyday of upright doughnut chassis in large monochrome sets with the older, deep, fat neck CRTs.
Those doughnut were primarily used in 14"-17" portables and sized to fit the smallest cabinet they would go in (so I'd guess yours is 19-24"). I like that has a power transformer. Most portable chassis were series string, and not all that good when driving a larger tube, the transformer likely means that engineering bothered to do a good job on it.

You will want a multimeter, oscilloscope, and a tube tester on your bench, and likely an HV probe/meter. If there is a cheap B&K 1075, 1076, or 1077 near by (or you plan on doing a lot more tube TVs) those can be nice to have (though often need a recap).

Phil's Old Radios has some good beginner info for restoration...On TVs start by replacing defective capacitors, and then move to trouble shooting.

Welcome, and good luck.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4