View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, they are building Buicks over there now, but not importing them here yet. But the engine in one of the new Chevy's is made in China. There is a company working on bringing a Chinese car here very soon if they can jump it through all the hoops.

I was in a lowbuck discount store today, they had Orion 27" tv sets with American flags on them. I didn't bother walking over to see if they were a)made in the us b)rebuilt in the us (store sells lots of rebuilt stuff). It would seem like the easiest thing to do would be to import the boards from China then make the crt and cabinet here and throw it all together. Since those components are just empty boxes really why ship them around the globe? And not much labor to slap them together. But with a smaller set, 13" certainly, they are compact enough to just ship the whole works.

Saw a 13" color Zenith that looked to be c.1980 and it had an address on the back of Missouri.

My understanding is that Zenith mfg. is all gone, Thompson left in the late 90s, but that NAP is still running to some extent, maybe just big screens, down in Knoxville?