View Single Post
Old 07-09-2023, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: Replaced the thermistor connected to the degausser coil plug which goes into the chassis, also replaced the posistor that is connected to one of the terminals of the circuit breaker. Double checked all connections and put it all back together to turn it on for a test for the first time in many many months. Fully recapped all electrolytics as well and checked polarity and connections.

This time the arcing is NOT happening in the HV cup socket like before but INSTEAD it is happening at the bottom of the HV cage inside towards the underside of the flyback...the arcing was much more intense and bright too....scared the beejezus outta me and I of course immediately turned the set off in an instant when this started. Like before sound circuit which is solid state works fine, the lightbulb i put in to replace burnt one on tuner lights up fine and looks great...so i guess that is an accomplishment?, and there was not apparant signs of trouble elsewhere which leads me to suspect the flyback is arcing due to an internal short (i tested the primary winding from cap for HV rect tube at one point to the other being the horizontal output tube's cap. and ohms were within range per schematic.) Will be testing other windings now for signs of trouble. Perhaps the flyback is exposed and having HV leaking through it in a blind spot in the HV cage that I could not see? I will admit I there was a spot on the flyback on the underside that I can not see when doing visual inspections. Flyback is not hardened indicating it was not heavily used. And it looks ok on most of what I could see in the past...but I am getting suspicious now...

On the positive side...I can either seal it up if that is the case or...I also have a NOS thordarson replacement flyback ready to go! lol