View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Yew lucky dawg, you!
If it can play Quad tapes with the dolby noise reduction then it is definitly a keeper.
I have a Superscope Quad deck and two Quad tapes (one is the Boston pops and the other is Elvis) and almost bought a third a while back. I have a crude Quad setup consisting of the superscope a pair of Harmon/Kardon 330B amps and 4 fisher XP55B speakers. Asside from the speakers I had all this equipment and one tape long before I had any clue what the heck Quad sound was (that was in my more active garage sale stereo equip collecting days).

I almost bought a Quad amp this weekend at Radiofest, but the seller wanted 80$ for it and that was the better part of my budget so I decided to pass.

One can identify Quad 8-track tapes by looking for an extra notch not found on stereo tapes. It is located on the large top area at the opening for the tape heads/capstan.
Another identifier of quad tapes is that they have only two "tracks" on the song index.

I want to build my Quad equipment collection, but progress is slow because I have little funds for a hobby that audiophiles are makeing ridiculously expensive.

I've heard of the bias switch for those tapes, but don't know anything about the tapes themselves.

I know that our series of decks has some good info out on google if you put in the brand and model. You can find Quad tapes on ebay if you are eager to test your deck. If your deck can record Quad as well as play it back you can make a fortune selling it on ebay(though in your shoes I'd probably hang on to my deck).

Tom C.
Unfortunately It can not record quad, only stereo. And yes I Plan on keeping this deck for a long time. sounds too good, and the wife likes the auto eject. Shoots the tape out a good couple of feet.