View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
About three weeks ago I tested the tubes in the color circuits...Nearly all were weak and or shorted so I replaced nearly every color stage tube (took a good bit of searching to find the oddball types it uses, but I had them in stock). That got me the rainbow of off-frequency chroma osc. I soon found the osc. slug was both stuck and cracked...Ugh! I pulled the osc. coil and after some debate began the nerve-wracking process of gently compressing/crushing the coil form by a fraction of it's diameter just above the coil where the slug was stuck...With great finesse I was able to crack the old slug up enough for it to drop out of the form in pieces yet keep the form usable and not damage the coil. A tiny bit of the top of the form chipped off, but it is inconsequential.

I took a larger slug (I plan to hunt up the estimated correct size soon) that was handy and adjusted it for color sync. I have color bars now, the tint does not really get them the right color, but I've got them!

DSCN9658 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

Between a vacation and other projects, it has sat since then. I need to try either direct video injection or do an alignment...That pastel pic is with color maxed and fine tuning set for max color level.
Good thing you bought the 6BV8 tubes that time. It's not a common type.