View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting replies & I thank you all for them. Seems to be as Madman (love that moniker, lol) says "that's the way we're used to doing it!" Here in England it was usually the local council who supplied the gas & then electricity to urban & suburban areas so they'd share the ground as the council owned it. In rural areas & small villages where they never had gas they'd put in overhead lines for cheapness.

In the late 1940's the nationalised gas boards & electric boards took over the gas pipes & electric cables & would compete with each other. I lived in a village called Gotham in Nottinghamshire that had no gas supply & the electric was via overhead lines, every time it thundered the electric would go off. My niece still lives there & it's still overhead, they have a gas supply now though.

The gas & electric companies were privatised in the 1990's & offer a discount if you take both gas & electric from them. I'm with Thames Energy for both gas & electric, (they used to be London electricity board) I've got a discounted fixed price deal till 2018 with them..