View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My obsession for this stuff has ALWAYS been there, kinda burning on low flame. On a whim, I bought a RatShak/Sangean DX440 radio. Then I got a Popular Communications mag to see where the shortwave stations were. Kept hearing & reading about this marvelous device called an R-398. Then I saw Rick Mish's ad in the back of PopCom for R-390A sales & service. Called him, the rest is history. Soon I was the proud daddy of a '67 Dittmore-Friemuth R-390A. Then I read about the OTHER members of the R-390A "family" & basically couldn't live til I had at least one of each.Next, it was inferred that you were strictly a bush-league radioman unless you had an SP-600, to go along w/yr R-390As. And you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need a Hallicrafters SX-28. Can't fergit the Navy,& Air Force, & their R-1051s. All the while every time me & the G/F were out prowling the antique/junk shops, an All-American Fiver or 2 would simply have to come home w/me. Or a neat old console. Next, e-Bay reared its ugly & expensive head & I've been able to get ephemera I could never hope to run accross here in Doughnut Center (What A Hole). All of a sudden, I realised I have no piece of furniture that isn't electronic or have at least one piece of electronic equipment on top of it. I'm sick-they say the first step to recovery is admittance of yr "problem" so here it is...<Grin>-Now, what's YOUR excuse ?!?-Sandy G.