View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I started with simple radios, then got interested in more complicated radios (boatanchors and higher-end consumer sets). Eventually, I moved on to TVs, and that's mainly what I collect and restore nowadays, unless I run across a radio that's irresistible for some reason.

BC programming around here has always been pretty ghastly. I used to listen to my boatanchors regularly (hear the BBC news at midnight!), but the "bigs" in English-language shortwave broadcasting have cut back to the extent that there's very little SW worth hearing any more. Late-night DX-ing ain't half as exciting in a world where you can dial up a zillion Internet stations -- foreign and domestic -- on your phone, with no static or fading. I listen to FM radio almost exclusively, and yes, I have a couple of AM transmitters, but most of the time I just turn on one of my old FM radios, which are located close at hand in places where I spend most of my time.

With tube TVs, I feel like can fix most sets most of the time, and get advice from forums if I get stuck. I still have plenty to learn, and there are enough different designs that I don't picture getting bored soon.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html