View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I learnt to drive in an automatic, my mother couldn't/wouldn't drive a manual, so that kinda took care of THAT. When I did set out to learn a manual, I had a day or 2 of stalling, embarrassing myself & so forth, but soon got everything "Sorted Out". In my old age now, I'm lazy, & have strictly "Slushboxes". But, my daily driver, the ginormous Excursion, they only came w/autos, my '67 Lincoln, the '73 Fleetwood Brougham Caddy & my wife's 2014 Touareg they were the same way-Only available w/autos. The Caddy was my Grandad's Pride & Joy-He always wanted the biggest, nastiest Cad they made, he & my granny went to Louisville, Kentucky on business one weekend, it was in a Dealer's near their hotel. It started Talking To him, about half an hour later, he went to pick her up in his flashy new ride. How much was it, Fritz ? she asked. $10, 243,78 he answered. You spent TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS on a CAR ?!? Are you outta your MIND ?!? I think she blew 3 gaskets over that car. She was so damn mad at him, she wouldn't speak to him all the way home, & she stayed "Fuzzed Up" for about a month. He was like 75 at the time, he still worked, he never took vacations, never spent money frivolously-Except on this-and always kept his head down & minded his own business. We only let him drive it a year or 2 after that, & then my dad & uncle took his keys away-he just wasn't safe anymore. But for a while, "Fritz" got his great big toy-And there wasn't a happier guy around. I'll never sell it-its one of the few things of his that I have.