View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 01:05 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I assume the PR57. I got a nice one for about $65 with shipping on Ebay maybe 7 years ago or so....and a CR-70 a GOOD One-- works VERY well--for maybe 75....And a VA-62 (NOT 48) for maybe $35, 10 or so years ago....

25 years ago--all of that would have cost OVER 5 THOUSAND dollars !!
Yes, it was a PR57. I bought it right when they introduced that model, and it sure seen a lot of use.

I remember Sencore tried to sell it by suggesting we charge the customer an extra fee ($2 or something along those lines) for a "Safety Leakage Check" on every TV we repaired. They even gave me a supply of stickers to put on the back of the set that said it had been "safety checked".

The only problem was by that time, there were very few points on the average TV set that the customer could come in contact with to get a shock even if there were a problem. The input jacks were about it.

Does anyone remember going to a Sencore sponsored troubleshooting class? They used to sponsor them occasionally, and they were pretty good (if you were careful to realize what they were really teaching was how to troubleshoot using their equipment). I went to one on servicing VCR servo systems, and another on switched mode power supplies. I think I've even got my completion certificates around somewhere.