View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Federal A10 mystery

I found this Federal A10, 5-tube in great shape at Kutztown and gave it a try tonight. A little cleaning of the sockets and a repair to a socket surround that cracked. Cable ties come in handy. Xfmrs replaced above the chassis.

Using a ARBE-III and the power wiring from the website I got it up with my local AM xmtr and a Peerless speaker. No headphone jack on this one. But it took a while.

It seems the radio is only working from the detector thru the 2 AF amps to the speaker. Only the final dial tunes. I have a three tube radio of modest quality but detuning a bit helps the fidelity. Nothing special on the Peerless. The 1st and 2nd RF sections do nothing. I can pull the tubes and it still works and I have all the right voltages there.

There is a working rheostat for the final section and a volume control for the RF section which does nothing but I can see it working on a meter.

I have not been under it yet so there is more to come. The question is, how can this thing work as a one-dial if the RF was bypassed somehow? It's in Riders #1.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-24-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: text