Thread: '56 Magnavox
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1 View Post
i can tell you that the VM turntable that is on your unit is NOT the original, the original was a brittish made Collaro. the reason i know this is because i have the exact same identical model here. mine, however is fully functional & in working condition. it even has a really good quality sound to it.
if you can find the original turntable for it at a low cost or free, then it would make it worth restoring. otherwise, being that the transformer was burnt to a crisp, & the original turntable missing, as well as the modifications that was done to the deck that holds the turntable in order to make that VM fit, it just leads up to being a piece of junk.
I thought the same thing, until someone on ARF chimed in, with the same machine, that uses the exact same VM changer. And, I did find out that Magnavox used some VM changers during the '50's. If this changer is indeed non-original, someone did a good job as most of the conversions I've seen were very sloppy. Of course, I'd rather have the Collaro version; but, at least someone didn't stick some plastic '70's BSR changer in there (I've seen that done more than a few times).