View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
See post #12 in this thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...color+phosphor

The only correct NTSC tubes were the 15GP22 and the early 21AXP22's.

The main difference that affected both greens and reds was the change from P1 green to sulfide green . ...
Thank you very, very much for answering that question in great detail. I have a CTC-9 in queue for restoration. But it, as you must know, does not have the 21AXP22 in it, rather the 21CYP22. And, I hold no hope to ever have access to a 15GP22!

In reading this thread and the thread that was linked, it sure does bring back memories. I remember when color TV was a new thing. I just didn't remember the change in color. But I sure do know what you are talking about. I had a Heathkit GR-2000 (I think that is the number) that had a Zenith CRT in it. I always felt that the colors favored earthtones. I thought that it was similar to the 70s obsession with browns and oranges. No bright blues, greens or reds.

I also remember working for EJ Korvette. I worked in the Audio Dept. which was right next to what they called "Major Appliances". In that dept., they had a room with doors that had all of the color sets in it. It was a very dim room. Hmmm, there's a surprise! I just hope to one day have a set with the early phosphors in it.

Again, thanks for explaining and taking the time to search and post.
Audiokarma