View Single Post
Old 06-19-2017, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithDude88 View Post
OK, well I guess there goes that theory. But either way its kind of impressive that your radio made it 75+ years later in that good of shape. By the way the name Auburn is actually the name of a town in Indiana where they made the Auburn, Cord and Dusenburg cars back when that radio was made, this is just a theory but possibly the Auburn Car company expanded into selling radios for a while, or possibly they gave away radios with their name on them as a promotional gift when you bought an Auburn car back in the 1930s? Just a guess.
Thank you. Being the car buff that I am I know all about the Auburn automobile. True classics. Anything is possible as far as the radio goes and it also could be connected with Auburn New York. Likely there wasn't a whole lot of thought as to choosing that name. Someone was possibly thinking of the car because it evoked something up-scale. I've seen slews of interesting names molded in similar bezels for these sets and I highly doubt that they point to the origins of the sets. In the day these were very low-end $10 radios likely sold in small department stores.
PS - Interestingly enough the "Auburn" spelling on the radio is done in the style of the automobile's logo!
http://auto-logo.info/logo/auburn6.jpg

Last edited by decojoe67; 06-19-2017 at 05:40 PM.