Thread: Umatic variants
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
US spec BVU was geared more towards integration to the broadcast infrastructure than the VO series
Right, thanks, I got this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
Regardless of the baseband the 3/4 U-Matic is still a heterodyne composite format and is limited by the chroma/luma bandpass filters. With the chroma down to 688 khz it's only about 100 khz wide giving it a resolution of about 30 horizontal lines. The luma passband is cut off around 3.08 MHz giving it an academic resolution of about 250 horizontal lines that is similar to VHS Betamax and Video -8. In reality the U-Matic format looks far better than the aforementioned formats due to the higher head writing velocity, linear tape speed and overall stability of that flywheel head drum.
Um, this is what I wanted to talk about. I understand that Umatic was preferred to, say, VHS or Beta because of the pro connectors and overall integration of the pro workflow, but if we take the first generation video, it did not look better than consumer formats, and the videos that I linked support this claim.

As for stability, again, the first generation VHS looks good enough, and for further generations a TBC can be used just like for Umatic. I can see that linear Umatic sound is much better than VHS/Beta because of faster tape speed. I suppose that SVideo connector and EDIT mode on consumer SVHS/Hi8 machines could achieve similar quality as Umatic over DUB connector even for a second or third generation, am I wrong?

Anyway, I have another question that I posted in this thread, but I can repeat it here, since I am getting great answers in this thread.

The other day I was reading Umatic SP specs in a late 1980s magazine, and it said: 330 lines in monochrome mode, 240 lines in color mode. Well, I know that Umatic only has about 30-40 lines of chroma resolution, it is as pitiful as any other color-under format. So, what did they mean?

This low-band VO-5800 model shows different values for monochrome and color:

The SP VO-9800 shows the same resolution both for monochrome and color:

• Did they mean that without color, the signal is cleaner, there is no interference in the lower part of the luma band, so it actually does provide higher resolution?
  • Or did they mean that colorful picture LOOKS less sharp to a human eye?
  • Or something else?
  • Why the numbers are the same for SP models even in the "conventional" mode (says 250 lines color/monochrome)?
Other manufacturers who made Umatic machines, did they only make low-band ones, never high-band/SP compatible?

Finally, when they talk about VHS/Beta resolution of, say, 250 lines, do they mean in monochrome mode or in color mode? I suppose they mean color mode, as base VHS is similar to base Umatic.