View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 09:38 PM
<----Zenith C845

Did the Movie Dial radios have different dials for different parts of the United States? The radio being discussed here had Minneapolis and Denver, etc. stations on its MD film strip. Were any of these radios made with movie-dial strips showing stations in other parts of this country, like Minneapolis, Denver, Chicago, Milwaukee, et al.? For that matter, were there strips for these sets showing radio stations in Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, etc.? (I hate to think someone would have to buy an entire new radio if he or she moved, just to get correct stations on the dial, even if the radio itself still worked perfectly well.)

BTW, was it possible to change the film strip in these radios if the owner moved from one region of the US to another, say from Minneapolis to Chicago, or did the sets' owners simply leave the dials as they were when they moved? I would think it would be possible to recalibrate the dials (after replacing the strip, of course) for the owner's new area; however, I wonder how many folks would have gone to the trouble and expense of having this done, as I think it would be a major undertaking.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.