View Single Post
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Bob Galanter

Great Find!!!!!!!! Sad about the necked CRT. But fear not, one will turn up at some point. I guess I am something of a purist. My feeling is that the most important reason for having a CTC4 is to have the 21AXP22 crt in a functioning set. That original crt is in large part, what makes the set rather historic. The 21CT55 was the only earlier set to use the 21AX. The first mass use of the 21AX occurs in the CTC4 series. (some clones of limited production numbers were sold by other manufacturers in very small quantities).

The original CTC4 flybacks are prone to failure. ManyMany were replaced with an improved version. The original flyback is part #110409 (drawing #1106237-1). The improved replacement flyback is 101959-A and also involves a number of circuit changes to the chassis which RCA made to accommodate the new flyback design. According to the drawing # stamped on your flyback (1106237-2) you have a replacement flyback in your set. There should also be a paper hang tag inside your set explaining that you have a replacement version flyback and that the chassis has circuit changes to accommodate that replacement flyback.

When you start to work on the chassis you are going to find a number of circuit changes which will not match the original RCA schematic. Those changes are on a paper hang tag that should be attached to your set (provided some numb skull didn't pull the tag off and discard it.) (there are instructions on the tag that tell the service tech to attach the tag to the inside of the set after installation of the replacement flyback)

I believe someone here on VK (possibly Nick?) posted a photo of the hang tag at some time in the past which has all the circuit changes that have been made to your chassis.

You have a Wonderful old color set there, and it is quite an uncommon model. According to my RCA service bulletin, the Gainsborough came in Walnut or Maple finish. Which is yours? Hard to tell in the photos. Looks like Walnut to me.

My Cheltenham is in natural Birch finish But over the years the color has mellowed and it looks more like Pine now. I just completed the re-finishing of my CTC4 Cheltenham cabinet, and I am about to start the re-cap of the chassis.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com