Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2020, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony KD-30XS955 Help!

Sony KD-30XS955 Help!

Current condition:
Stuck in Hospitality Mode (Major)
ID Registers do not match any model the chassis is used in (Minor)

History:

I picked this set up for $30.00. I could not pass it up. Years ago I had a KV-36XBR400 and loved it.
The TV had not been turned on in 5 years. After about an hour the CRT perked up nicely. After a few days I decided to start tweaking. I found it strange that I had both red drive and cutoff adjustments. Back in my day red was the reference thus only blue and green drives were available.
Well any way my dark grays were a little cyan and my clouds were pink so I tweaked the red registers for proper gray scale. The black and white picture was great. However, from scene to scene my white balance was changing.
I finally downloaded the service manual only to find I was not to mess with the red registers! I put them back to factory defaults and adjusted gray scale using only the green and blue registers. OK, good black and white but the white balance is still changing on color scene. Here is the dumb move! I bitch slapped it (factory reset) and all went to shit! When it came on it was like looking at a TV through a fish bowl. The Pin Amp is way messed up, the menu key on the front does not work and the ID register numbers don't match any model listed in the service manual (and yes I do have the service manual for this serial number).

Questions:

Do I give a rats ass about the ID registers? I can tweak the landing registers to correct the geometry or their other concerns I should have?

How the bloody hell did it disable the menu key? I have unlocked many a hotel set in my day but this is stupid. Not to mention the fact I am using a $9.00 universal remote that does not have a menu key and the Salvation Army down the road does not have any Sony remotes at this time.

By the way, the color looks smashing although I'm not a fan of white being 9100 deg K.

Thanks Folks