Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2017, 04:01 PM
self-help dreams

What sparked your interest in vintage televisions?

Of course, we all love them! Sometimes I'll just get nice and cozy and sit among my collection, admiring each set. (I find this useful on my #DebbieDownerDays when I get sad for no reason.)

But I was wondering how you all became interested in this noble hobby of ours.

I'll start with my story, although it is a trifle sad. It began when I was a boy, perhaps ten years old, maybe a little older. My father had a VERY VALUABLE vintage television, though I cannot remember the model. A New Vista, I think? 'Twas so long ago I find it difficult to remember.

Father claimed the set was worth thousands. He was a very hardworking man, but dedicated to his family, which was why he'd often take short-term jobs that would lay him off, so that he could collect unemployment benefits and spend time with my mother and I.

Yet the stupid, libelous naysayers at the unemployment office claimed my father had committed fraud while trying to collect his benefits, which of course was a lie because he was a noble man. This made him VERY angry and my family had no money for some time.

My father decided to sell his vintage set. Whilst he was calling pawn shops to see what kind of price he could get, I took it upon myself to make some improvements to the set so we could get more money for it.

'Twas the worst decision I ever made, one that ruined my family.

The chief "improvement" I made was trying to make the vintage VCR-compatible. I thought I was so resourceful, so handy, using my father's tools to "improve" the vintage.

Before I knew it, the set was in pieces. My father grew enraged. He said he'd just been on the phone with two potential buyers, both of whom told him they'd pay thousands for the set. Now 'twas worthless, due to my stupid mistake.

My mother told him not to yell at me. He said it didn't matter, for he didn't want to see us anymore, anyway. (I know it wasn't my mother's fault. He was mad at me, for I'd ruined him financially.)

He stormed out of the house and didn't return. I didn't see my father for years after that, and even then, he was cold.

YET! This horrendous tail of the worst mistake in my life at least ends with my collection. Hopefully -- fingers crossed! -- if I ever see my father again, he'll approve of it. I'll even give him the best set in my collection to make up for the one I destroyed! That would be the least I could do for him.

Anyway, that's my story. (Wowzer, didn't plan to write so much!)

Anyone else want to regale me with your stories? Don't be shy!