Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 AM
I love old stuff

Why do you like old tv sets?

For me... the stile and the fact that remember you of old days (ha, I do admire periods when I wasn't even borned). Plus the thing that you know how people worked to manufacture them.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

For me it's the fact that so many of them have lasted so long.

We're talking 30... 40... 50+ years and beyond, and until you get into the pre 60's stuff, most of them just need simple cleaning and maintenance to get them working like new again.

And before the internet, TV was how I entertained myself
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Nostalgia.

For watching vintage recordings in the manner in which they were originally viewed.

Technological history.

Amusement.

A challenge to repair, followed by a great sense of accomplishment when resolving a difficult problem.

Training the mind to solve those aforementioned difficult problems.

And lots of other reasons.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:19 AM
DTV blows

To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.

Think about it. Glass bulbs. Red-hot glowing elements. Bits of steel plates. Coils of wire. Tubes of paper, wax and aluminum. Pieces of carbon with wires sticking out. Doughnut shaped pieces of ferrite metal bits. Crude, simple, elementary bits and pieces of raw materials combined in just the right way, inside a box to pluck moving pictures and sound out of thin air, able to bring news, entertainment, sports, major events, to one's very own home.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Beams of moving electrons!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.

Think about it. Glass bulbs. Red-hot glowing elements. Bits of steel plates. Coils of wire. Tubes of paper, wax and aluminum. Pieces of carbon with wires sticking out. Doughnut shaped pieces of ferrite metal bits. Crude, simple, elementary bits and pieces of raw materials combined in just the right way, inside a box to pluck moving pictures and sound out of thin air, able to bring news, entertainment, sports, major events, to one's very own home.
Mostly the same, and how much more they are technological achievements than today's mass produced, plastic sets.

Just think about it. I can walk up to a finely styled wooden box, pull out a knob, and have a bunch of copper, paper, plastic, and steel throw thousands (possibly millions) of tiny dots in perfect coordination to produce a picture that moves every millisecond, for hours from invisible beams shooting through the air.

Most kids these days see them as outdated junk.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:30 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Memories of childhood... The tv in my avatar is a set me and my dad worked on and got running.. (still looking) Some have cool cabinets, and its fun bringing em back from the dead...

SR
Old 07-09-2016, 08:24 PM
electronics packrat

Nostalgia and the fact that the older sets can be serviced when they develop a issue, as opposed to the new sets that are usually impossible to repair. I grew up around these old sets in daily use and had a couple of family members who repaired TVs who taught me how to service them.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Much simpler times. Also, the remote was named Tim. Wait, that was me.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 PM
electronics packrat

Yep, I was the remote for the first 17 years of my life.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Technohippie

I owe my career in electronics to an early interest in the workings of television, and building all kinds of projects and circuits from a combination of trashpicked TV sets and parts from the pegboards at the local Radio Shack. I soon moved on to reading some books on TV repair and learned to fix up some of the nicer discarded sets and sell them for extra spending money. The ability to do this got me my first couple part-time jobs in TV repair shops, while most of my friends were pumping gas or flipping burgers for considerably less money.

By the time I got out of HS, the age of BPC sets was well underway, and it was apparent that TV repair wasn't going to remain a profitable endeavor much longer. I made a shift over to commercial/broadcast video repair (lots of work for VHS duplicating houses with endless racks of VCRs) for a year or so while studying EE during the day. Eventually was offered a job at a university research lab, in part because of my experience with video systems, but I eventually moved up to replace their retiring instrumentation guru building all manner of one-off custom instrumentation and systems for scientific research.

I still like playing around with analog TV and vintage sets as a hobby partly to keep the technology from being completely forgotten, and because it reminds me of my younger days and several great folks (now gone) who taught me about the workings of the technology over the years. I like to restore sets to working condition for people who want them, partly out of a sense of guilt for all the restorable now collectible sets I shredded into pieces in my early years of learning...
Old 02-12-2017, 05:01 PM
I love old stuff

And sometimes I want to revenge on the hard times.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36 View Post
Nostalgia and the fact that the older sets can be serviced when they develop a issue, as opposed to the new sets that are usually impossible to repair.
Same here. Plus, I'll never have to upgrade my service equipment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTim View Post
Much simpler times. Also, the remote was named Tim. Wait, that was me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36 View Post
Yep, I was the remote for the first 17 years of my life.
Now is my time to be the remote. Mom and I use my Electrohome console, which is fed only from a DVD player right now, and she doesn't know how to operate the player.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 AM
The Resident Brony

Why do I like anything that's old?

I'm insane.

But seriously, ever since I was a wee lad, I've had 2 major fascinations: learning how things worked, and old stuff. As a baby, the instant I could crawl, I went straight for the electrical outlet.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Motorola Minion

+1 I was the one who freaked out his parents going after this stuff. Anything electrical did not escape my notice. The high voltage and hums ot the TV was the ultimate in cool stuff, right at home

The warm aroma and sight of tubes in back of any old TV or radio always had a special appeal. 1950s TVs in particular use similar circuits with familiar tubes making them easy to repair.

Most of us also like *old* cars, considering anything built before the game-changing mid 1970s to be easy and fun to work on.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Audiokarma