Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 PM
M is for Memory

+1 In the early 90's my folks could not find child proofing for the outlets my infant self could not figure out how to defeat in under 30 min.

I was the kid that rather than run scared from the noise of the vacuum instead looked on with awe and curiosity...

I killed a hybrid Moto WID set at 2-5 because I wanted to know why sound came on before the picture and toggled the power repeatedly till it failed....

As soon as I could hold a screwdriver anything I could dismantle, without getting killed for it, got dismantled.

I have a 70's car and plan to own older ones too soon.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old sets don't require a Masters Degree in Engineering to operate.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:48 AM
I love old stuff

The ones with more digital options do Heck, it took me some time to understeand how to easy memorize the staions on an old 30 channel tv set, but after I understood how to do it, it was easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1LtbSm8l8 Don't blame them. When I was around 15 and half age I wanted to record an episode from "Sailor Moon" onto video cassette, but I dind't know how to make the connection (it was at a relative - geesh, I wished that I had that dubbed episode on a cassette).
But talking of easines, when I was a kid I found out on my own how te memorize the stations on sets with mecahnichal memory (push button stuff). If you put me to operate me something as complicated as today are smartphones...

Oh, most old tv's got the LOOK. Even some early ones with plastic faces. The early ones made 100% with plastic case (and some up to early '90's) didn't had the look (execept for some portable models), but the plastic dind't look agresive... but after early '90's, they all becamed horrible. Only reason for getting me an 1998-2001 color tv set: good image provided.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
The ones with more digital options do Heck, it took me some time to understeand how to easy memorize the staions on an old 30 channel tv set, but after I understood how to do it, it was easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw1LtbSm8l8 Don't blame them. When I was around 15 and half age I wanted to record an episode from "Sailor Moon" onto video cassette, but I dind't know how to make the connection (it was at a relative - geesh, I wished that I had that dubbed episode on a cassette).
But talking of easines, when I was a kid I found out on my own how te memorize the stations on sets with mecahnichal memory (push button stuff). If you put me to operate me something as complicated as today are smartphones...

Oh, most old tv's got the LOOK. Even some early ones with plastic faces. The early ones made 100% with plastic case (and some up to early '90's) didn't had the look (execept for some portable models), but the plastic dind't look agresive... but after early '90's, they all becamed horrible. Only reason for getting me an 1998-2001 color tv set: good image provided.
Cool! Some of those kids were open to using an old TV even though they didn't get to see an actual picture. Clean the volume control, feed it a signal and shape 'em while they're still young.

At one time I didn't know how to hook up a VCR; I knew I had to use a coaxial cable but didn't know which F-connector to use on the VCR. Fortunately there was no harm in hooking it up wrong.

In my opinion, not knowing how to use a smartphone is no loss and you're better off. I'm sure I could learn how to use one but that would go against my lifetime practice of running in the other direction.

Agreed on the look of old sets. The newest set I have by far is a 19" set from 1987 that has a particle board cabinet and plastic face, but I think it looks good. Sure, particle board isn't desirable, but not many table sets from that time are made with it and it's in excellent condition.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

crt sets still have better depth of color and motion compared to modern flat screens .
Audiokarma
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster
To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.
They sure are!!!

I love CRTs .. I do not like digital crap..... I prefer natural colours and analogue!!
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Simply put: They work, and rarely fail. When they do, pennies bring them back to life in most cases.

I'd stack any solid state set made in the early 70s up through the mid 80s next to this "buy a new one every 3 years" BS on the market today.

I have a 17" 1980 Sony in my spare bedroom, a 1981 Sony 15" in my kitchen, and a 1985 Sony 19" in the main bedroom. All pulled from the trash. One or two electrolytics replaced in each to restore them to perfect operating condition. CRTs all look as new. All 3 on digital converters and outdoor antenna. The 1985 Sony has AV inputs, so it's been brought into the 21st century with a Roku box.

We have the second to last Sony HD, 16X9, 34" CRT set in the LR (KD34XS960- 2006). Has internal digital tuner. It's on the outdoor antenna too, but it's also tethered to Fios basic service. Trash picked with the matching stand, remote, and instructions. Replaced two ICs in the power supply 5 years ago when I got it ($11), and it's worked since. Yeah, it's a heavy beast, but it fits nicely in the corner we have it in.

My mother (and almost everyone I know that has one) has replaced her flat panel every three years after failures.

Need I say any more?

Last edited by TV Engineer; 03-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like them because they're attractive to look at. A lot of old TV's are industrial art.

David
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post

In my opinion, not knowing how to use a smartphone is no loss and you're better off. I'm sure I could learn how to use one but that would go against my lifetime practice of running in the other direction.
I agree, i'm near 60 years old and,I know the old stuff but i can't say momething on a smartphone, Ipad or Iphone... this kind of stuff is very stranged to me.. I don't know how work this kind of stuff. However, talk me about old tv, old radio and many others old stuf, ahhhhhhhh i know how work the old stuff . I have no modern tv ( plasma , LCD or what ever.. ) i have about 10 old tv with a CRT only, old transistor radios.... old watches and old clocks....that's better than the new stuff.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
To me, old tube television sets are simply amazing.
Think about it. Glass bulbs. Red-hot glowing elements. Bits of steel plates. Coils of wire. Tubes of paper, wax and aluminum. Pieces of carbon with wires sticking out. Doughnut shaped pieces of ferrite metal bits. Crude, simple, elementary bits and pieces of raw materials combined in just the right way, inside a box to pluck moving pictures and sound out of thin air, able to bring news, entertainment, sports, major events, to one's very own home.
...and the tiny electrons flying many thousands of miles per second, hit the screen and force the phosphor to light up!

That's my favourite view of an old television, I almost see those electron beams drawing the picture!

Last edited by Gleb; 04-19-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2017, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a really cool picture!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I was born & raised in NE Tennessee....This area was pretty destitute..We're talking LBJ/Great Society here.A color set represented what we thought folks in the "real" America had.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Workin' Late Again

Sandy is back. Yeah
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I was born & raised in NE Tennessee....This area was pretty destitute..We're talking LBJ/Great Society here.A color set represented what we thought folks in the "real" America had.
Welcome back!
Glad to see everything is back to normal.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Good to hear from you again! Welcome Back Kotter.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma