Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

When going through paperwork I found that exact book. I will have to look at it.

My RCA set does not fade to dark. Unfortunately it is always dark. One time on powerup the flyback sounded somewhat close and for just a second the set showed raster. But only for a second until the frequency changed.

Sometime maybe today I am going to pull all 4 B&K analysts out and see if any have life. Hopefully out of the 4 at least one will behave.

Now excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "fade"? I don't think I've heard that term. Is it a term with solid state sets as well? I repair a ton of those but haven't heard that term yet.

Oh speaking of solid state, does the B&K also have a use with solid state sets?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtest View Post

Now excuse my lack of knowledge but what is the "fade"? I don't think I've heard that term. Is it a term with solid state sets as well? I repair a ton of those but haven't heard that term yet.

Oh speaking of solid state, does the B&K also have a use with solid state sets?
Fade is not a TV term, but rather a summary of what I think I remember you posting...I thought you described the RCA as powering up with raster and the light on the screen gradually fading out to a black screen as the horizontal slowly died...IIRC you also made it sound as though you could power it off for a while and it would do the same thing all over again.....Forgive me if my summary of what I thought I read is wrong I've had a busy week and there is a ton of crap floating around in my memory presently.

Later B&Ks (IIRC the 1077) were designed to work with SS TVs too.

Unit 1 probably is good enough to try with the RCA assuming it does not fill vertically (if horizontal is small that could be a problem)...Also it may be designed not to fill vertically...IIRC the slide image is shorter than the CRT...The CRT only needs to scan a pinch below and above the top of the image on the slide but does not need to scan to the top of the slide its self...If it did the image would have big white bars above and below it when displayed on a TV which is not what anyone wants.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-02-2018, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

There were several models of the Television Analyst produced over the years.
I have a 1075 which is all tube technology, later ones contained more and more solid state circuits and were more capable of being used on solid state TVs. They also added more functions as time went by. I think the oldest was model 1000 and the last was 1077B.
Here is a article on the "Phil's Old Radios" website.
https://www.antiqueradio.org/BK1077B...ionAnalyst.htm
Also here is a link to a discussion on the "Antique Radio Forum" that is also linked to in the Phil's article.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...678&highlight=

You have to remember that old test equipment is made of the same things old radios and TVs are made of, the same power up caution is recommended.