Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Nescio Quid Dicas

Re: Disposable society

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlava
Then your wife is gonna get a new stove with plastic knobs and thin metal, and she's gonna want that old Westy back. New appliances are to us appliance enthusiasts as new TVs are to old TV enthusiasts. They're cheap plastic (well metal for large appliances). They're pretty much disposable when it breaks.

Take Air Conditioners. They used to be expensvie as hell and weigh a ton. They actually blew colder air than the new ones today. My friend has a Frigidaire AC from the 70s at his house and it can freeze you out in no time. He also has a new LG made AC in his bedroom and it barely keeps up. they're so cheap and plastic, less than $100 can get you a small room AC and if it breaks, chuck it and get a new one.
I don't disagree. But wives want what wives want, and there is no point in arguing it. She doesn't give me any grief about my weird camera or wristwatch or stereo collections, and she cooks my dinner - so if she wants a new range, then who am I to argue?

Best,

Wigwam
Old 08-30-2004, 12:55 PM
heathkit tv

Ah, wimmin.........ya can't live with them, and ya can't kill them.

Too bad someone didn't clue in Scott Peterson.

Anthony
Old 08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
HiFi

Wigwam, it's not everyday I see a photo of downtown Kenly on the internet!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
jasonlava

Re: Re: Disposable society

Quote:
Originally posted by Wigwam Jones
I don't disagree. But wives want what wives want, and there is no point in arguing it. She doesn't give me any grief about my weird camera or wristwatch or stereo collections, and she cooks my dinner - so if she wants a new range, then who am I to argue?

Best,

Wigwam
Hmm... you have a point, and men want what wives got, so I guess you'd be better to get her a new one. What doesn't she like about the stove? That it's old? Something doesn't work on it?

You could go to one of the above listed sites and hope to give that Westy a good home. I'd hate like hell to see it get thrown in the trash
Old 08-30-2004, 06:03 PM
Nescio Quid Dicas

Re: Re: Re: Disposable society

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlava
Hmm... you have a point, and men want what wives got, so I guess you'd be better to get her a new one. What doesn't she like about the stove? That it's old? Something doesn't work on it?

You could go to one of the above listed sites and hope to give that Westy a good home. I'd hate like hell to see it get thrown in the trash
Well, two of the burners are out, and they're not the removable kind - except in the sense that ever thang can be removed wif a big hammer. Other than that, she likes it alright. But what she really wants is one of those ranges wif the gas cooktop and the electric oven part. I guess.

As to tossing it out - well there seem to be a lot of stoves like this one sitting by the side of the road around here - but not usually in any kind of working shape, let alone looking as nice as this one does. I reckon we'll try to sell it - not sure where to start, though. Not even sure this monster will fit through our front door - that may be why it's still here!

You know anybody who collects and fancies a trip to NC to pick it up, I'm sure we can reach a reasonable price!

Best,

Wiggy
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Nescio Quid Dicas

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFi
Wigwam, it's not everyday I see a photo of downtown Kenly on the internet!
Hey! What chew doing? Raleigh? Why you're prolly the reason I bin prowling ALL the SA and GW shops in Raleigh ever weekend and find NOTHIN NO-WHAR! It has been CLEAN pickins from Goldsboro to Durham for some time now - some buddy's bin gittin up early!

You know why I wuz in Kenly! - I hadda take I70 to Raleigh to avoid the crush on 40 at Knightsdale - Saturday mornings are obscene!

Best,

Wiggy in Wilson
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
heathkit tv

Re: Re: Re: Re: Disposable society

Quote:
Well, two of the burners are out, and they're not the removable kind - except in the sense that ever thang can be removed wif a big hammer. Other than that, she likes it alright. But what she really wants is one of those ranges wif the gas cooktop and the electric oven part. I guess.
You may want to stay with electric as gas is getting scarce.....after years of the industry promoting wider use they finally have gotten themselves in a pickle as they didn't increase production capability nor search for new sources. After decades of surplus now they have a shortage. Idiots. Guess who'll now end up paying for their short sightedness?

Anthony
Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
HiFi

Quote:
Hey! What chew doing? Raleigh? Why you're prolly the reason I bin prowling ALL the SA and GW shops in Raleigh ever weekend and find NOTHIN NO-WHAR! It has been CLEAN pickins from Goldsboro to Durham for some time now - some buddy's bin gittin up early!

You know why I wuz in Kenly! - I hadda take I70 to Raleigh to avoid the crush on 40 at Knightsdale - Saturday mornings are obscene!

Best,

Wiggy in Wilson
I hate to derail this thread any more, but no, I'm NOT the one who's picked the thrifts clean in Raleigh. A few good vinyl scores are all I can claim lately. Even the garage sales have yielded very little the past few months. I recognized the pic as Kenly cause I travel through there quite often during deer season, en route to a farm outside Fremont.

Here's to better luck at the thrifts, and fewer Yankees clogging up the roads!!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:58 PM
For the Love of the Music

Sweet TV--Steve!!

That a real cool roundie!!! Love to have it. Eric
Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

“Freon” is a trade name used by DuPont for their fluorocarbon refrigerants. It does not identify any particular refrigerant (i.e. R-12 or R-22). As far as performance is concerned, don’t blame the refrigerant, blame the cheap junk it is put in. I’ve been in the HVAC/R industry for some time, and there are many excellent, energy efficient units on the market. Unfortunately, the “Crap-Ola” brand has gotten a stranglehold on the market. Auto A/C units are the same, too. For the most part, just cheap junk. Converting an auto from R-12 to R-134a requires a compressor that will flow 15% more CFH than the original, not to mention the need for a larger condenser, and readjusting the low pressure control.
That being said….Congrats on your find!
Audiokarma
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 AM
heathkit tv

Color me guilty of using "Freon" to describe good ol R12, but I meant it in the colloquial sense as opposed to any of the replacement elixirs........most none of which (as you pointed out) are direct drop in replacements and will more often than not result in reduced performance. Unless of course you elect to use Propane (and you know what I'm yakking about!)

Seeing as how you're much more familiar with this than I, am going to install a 1990 Chevy engine with that small radial compressor into a late 50's car and wish to use the original factory installed underdash evaporator, do you feel this is compatible? Of course I'll have custom hoses made up with the proper fittings on either end. AFAIK this compressor was originally an R12 flavor.....should I consider changing to say a Sanden and using R134 instead? Thanks

Anthony
Old 09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

i have a 96 geo tracker made by suzuki. the a/c will freeze you solid. the dash above the vents will get dripping wet with water. my 03 thaoe will throw snow balls at you also.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
heathkit tv

A Geo with A/C? I bet when you turn it on the extra load on the engine makes it feel like someone just threw an anchor out the window LOL!

Anthony
Old 09-02-2004, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Had a friend once with a 4 door GEO with automatic, air, and a 3 cylinder! The whole family would pile into that poor little thing...I think it took 1 1/2 cylinders to run the a/c! One day I was over there watching tv and I heard this noise like an electric motor-they couldn't get it started so they hooked it up to a battery charger and just kept the key turned, I mean they cranked it for for 5 minutes at a time! Finally decided they needed a new motor so they scrapped the car. They didn't want to have to pay someone to change it, how hard could it be to change one of those rascals?!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm that doesn't sound right...if the motor still cranked over it was probably ok...they should have checked fuel pump, vacuum leaks, carbonized spark plugs, coil, distributor rotor, carburetor accelerator pump (if used), carburetor needle valve sticking open causing flooding, fuel lines, etc. If the starter motor just whirred then the solenoid was probably bad. Have had and fixed all these problems on vehicles, when the trouble symptoms were that it would not start at all. I'm curious as to how they arrived to the conculsion that it needed a new motor.
Audiokarma