Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA VJP41 Flip down portable stereo

I would like to know if any of you have any hints for removing the record changer from this flip down phono from 1968. I need to get to the amp chassis, and don't see a good way to take it apart. I have it removed from the frame and I have the screws removed for the changer mounting board, but it will not lift out. Maybe I am missing something here. I also need a power cord if anyone has one.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-29-2020, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Most RCA changers have two access screw holes under the turntable mat that are exposed when the edge of the mat is lifted. Rotate the turntable until the holes are over the two 5/16 inch bolts and then remove them.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found them! Thanks. Now to address weak distorted sound.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

This one has turned into a nightmare. Sound was originally low and distorted. I have replaced the electrolytic caps and found both resistors in the power supply to be bad. One drifted high and one open. I have replaced multiple resistors that were out of tolerance way high. Now the sound level is fine, but still slight distortion and most of all a complete lack of vocals. They are there, but way in the background. Sounds like a phase issue. I have not replaced any transistors and I did clean the controls. Anybody got any good ideas. it is chassis RS236B Sams 955 folder 7. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

After changing 9 caps and 6 resistors it still sounded bad. Better, but still bad. I fed a signal in from another source and the amp sounds fine. Not great, there are still a few out of spec resistors, but ok. Looks like a new cartridge is in order.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2020, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Before replacing the cartridge carefully pull out the little brass colored clips from the cartridge and polish them with a pencil eraser and see if that helps.