Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2023, 07:28 PM
Procrastination Expert

Unhappy Failed yoke on Xerox 6085 monitor

After years of thinking it would never be possible, I've acquired a Xerox 6085 "Daybreak" computer and 19" monitor from 1986. This was as very high end system for its time, and runs the same software as the early 80s 8010 Star computer, generally regarded as the first computer you could buy with graphics and a mouse.

The monitor is special. It's 37kHz interlaced, with a P7 type phospor to reduce flicker. Mine is the 19", there was also a 15".

Unfortunately, the glue they used is the kind that turns brown / conductive / corrosive. On the yoke it holds some of the alignment magnets in place, and some edges of the coils. In these areas it ate through the enamel on the windings. Additionally, the coil was fitted very tightly on the tube neck. Some dag actually got embedded in the yoke wires, and made shorts in these areas.

I've started carefully peeling the wire apart, and the bad enamel goes deep into the windings. I just don't think there'll be any fixing this

So what to do? Finding another identical yoke will be basically impossible. I'm wondering if the yoke from a B&W set could be "close enough" to work? The tube has the "large neck" like like an earlier tube, not the "small neck" like a typical 80s 9" or 12" mono tube.

I'll keep picking at the yoke but my confidence on getting it to work again is very low. Considering this damaged happened while it was sitting it also makes me concerned about any other monitor, so getting a parts chassis might not help either.

Thanks,

-Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 5.13.50 PM.jpg (117.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg rnTXyiSiRq+NJ+pWZk3vWA_thumb_26be.jpg (103.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1685.jpg (144.9 KB, 81 views)