Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2020, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you have a CRT tester do that first. If you don't and plan to test the CRT in set start by recapping the horizontal system, power supply and any caps on the B+ boost line (which is derived from the flyback). To get screen light you need the horizontal and flyback system working, the gun bias working and a good CRT (and possibly a correctly setup ion trap if the CRT uses one).
Thanks. I don't have a CRT tester at the moment, so I'll start with recapping those stages. It looks like the CRT is Philco branded, so it might be original or possibly a rebuild. Fingers crossed emissions are good...

Quote:

You may have to do additional recapping to make the B+ close enough to spec for the horizontal to work....Philco TVs prior to the late 50s were designed by cap happy engineers and have such a plethora of caps that often they won't work at all before a full recap, but often work just fine after just the recap.

Appreciate the tip! I don't really like the shotgun approach to cap replacement, especially in a TV, but in this case it may be the only way to go.

It sounds like these sets were well made. Aside from the usual stuff that needs replacing, do Philcos from this era have any quirks or failure-prone components I should be aware of?

Thanks again for the help,

Tim